I moved house three times last year.
I would like to share my experiences of handling this tumultuous time and some beneficial lessons I learned.
Overall, it was a stressful experience, but the whole experience was tempered by the fact that I was helped by caring friends, and now it is all over! In total, I had over 15 people assist me practically with the moves. They were all family members, or friends from my past and present Christian churches. I am extremely thankful for their help, because without them I literally would not have been able to successfully move house! I am so thankful that I have a support network of people in my life who are willing to graciously help me in times of need. For the record, thank you.
Some things I have learned while moving house multiple times:
1) In between moves, keep packing tape and scissors in a place you will remember. If you have trouble remembering things like this, make a reminder in your phone!
2) If you keep cardboard boxes in a place with the outside air flowing through, they might get so dry you can’t use the tape on them next time.
3) There is a definite time to throw out a box.
4) Feed your friends, keep them hydrated and always thank them.
5) Be OK if a friend says they are not able to help you this time.
6) A little planning goes a long way.
7) A little communication goes a long way.
8) Remind yourself that if you can’t move today, all is not lost. And if things really go badly and I become homeless, I know that God is still real, he still died and rose again to save me, and he will still be with me.
9) Give yourself permission to feel overwhelmed, celebrate the small victories and relax when it is all done!
What are your tips for moving house?